It’s a New Year now, and guess what?? There is never enough time in the day, even with the start of a New Year. Everyone has experienced the feeling of having more things to do than there is time for. Effective time management can be the key to success and a life with less stress. Try out some of these great time management tips and finally have a way to get those errands done and still have some time to relax.
1. The To-Do list ~ This is one of the most essential tools in time management. The best to-do list is one that is written or typed on your Smartphone (where your notes are located) , rather than in your head. The best time to make a to-do list is in the evening after your work for the day is done so you can start your day ready to go in the morning. List everything you need to get done, both big and small. Prioritize them. Be honest when you do this. Figure out what you need to get done and put those higher on the list and let everything else fall into place.
2. Use a Calendar ~ Keep track of important deadlines, meetings, and holidays. Keep a visual calendar at arm’s reach, or simply use your Smartphone’s calendar. This does wonders for making sure you are prioritizing your to-do list properly and helping you to be sure you aren’t forgetting anything.
3. Organize ~ Take some time to keep your area organized. When things are in their place you won’t lose time looking for them. This also makes it easier to concentrate. Plan a day each week to go through and clean up your entire work space. Put stuff away when you are done with it and file paperwork as soon as it is ready to be filed.
4. Schedule your Breaks ~ When you plan your day, plan your breaks as well. They are important for staying refreshed. Make sure your breaks don’t go on longer than necessary. Make sure you take these breaks to get coffee, go to the restroom, check email, make quick phone calls, or just relax before getting back to work.
5. Be flexible, Yet firm ~ It is important to make your schedule and stick to it, but that is not always possible. When something comes up that needs to get done, you must be willing to find time in your schedule to do it. That being said, it is also important to be able to say “no” if you don’t have time to do something. Just say No…it’s really that simple.
Time management can save you a lot of trouble and stress. Through planning and organization you can save time and get much more done. It may have a small time investment to get started, but the benefits can be fabYOUlous!